15 January 2007

little projects and new toys

Tom ordered new fenders this week and a fresh water pump. I hate to add another gadget to the boat and pressure water seems notorious for trouble, but it was the thing I missed most living in the pop-up tent. So we'll just have to take the risk.

We'd planned to go down and finish the interior painting and the wiring but it turned viciously cold so we'll have to wait for the weather to improve. Meanwhile Tom sewed new covers for the settees, and finished painting the control panel and fitting it with salvaged switches. I'm working on getting our paperwork in order and files cleaned up so that if we are gone for several months and I need something, I can direct someone to look for it. Our house and the rental apartment need painting, so I have been getting it ready, but the cold wet weather brought that to a halt as well.

We visited a restaurant supply down in Austin this week and picked up some really nice plastic storage containers. They will keep things orgnized at the bottom of the ice box and also keep them dry. Few things are as unappetizing as cheese and butter that have been sitting in water for a couple of days. I've been experimenting with products that don't need refrigeration, like ghee (expensive but not bad. I haven't cooked with it yet though) and canned cream (haven't tried it yet). I made a fruit crumble recipe from the Intricate Art of Living Afloat. I didn't cook it right and the crumble never went crunchy, but it was still good. I also tried making bread in the camping oven. It is quite tricky to keep the heat at a consistent level and I think it was too hot. The bread burned at the edges before it was done cooking at the center. I think I will try making bread in the pressure cooker next, maybe that will be easier.

Dana

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home